Long before the revolution, when Primorye was marked on the Russian maps as "South-Ussuriyski krai" and was a part of the Amur Governor-Generalship, the locals already knew about the unusual healing water spring, which they called “Sour Spring". It was discovered by the ginseng-hunters, who were attracted by the unusual taste of water - refreshing and slightly salty. Local farmers and hunters started to use rich in iron and minerals water from the spring to treat diseases. The rumor about a "magic live water" quickly spread through the entire Primorye.
By 1913, the last pre-war year of the Russian Empire, the people of Primorsky Krai had already heard a lot about the “Lastochka” spring (still known as "Sour Spring" at the time). Despite the distance - the spring is located 470 km to the north from Vladivostok - and almost complete absence of roads (the locals described them briefly as "impassable mud"), people traveled to the spring to get healing water. And the spring itself at the time was only an ordinary well, several meters deep.
“Lastochka” name was officially assigned to the spring in 1916, when the “Lastochka” Ussuriyski Mineral Springs Partnership was created in order to produce the water of the same name. Soon, the railway station, and the village at the station were also called “Lastochka”. Bottled water was sent to Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, and - in those years! –exported: to China and Japan.
After the Revolution and Intervention the spring had been abandoned for quite long. Water production resumed only in 1933, when the “Lastochka” industrial artel was formed. Artesian wells were drilled to replace pre-revolutionary wells and the water fully became artesian (i.e. extracted from the ground).
The new water plant was built in 1956. After regular renovations and modernizations, the plant was able to produce 15 million bottles a year by the 1980s and “Lastochka” water became one of the "business cards" of Primorsky Krai, being exported in large quantities.
Today, "Lastochka" is a new bottle, new label, but is still the same water, unique and beloved by many Far Easterners that has won many prestigious awards recently and has repeatedly been named the best mineral water at the profile exhibitions and competitions. We can say that "Lastochka" - water, approved by centuries, was preserved for Primorsky Krai by nature itself.